I’m thinking you’re going to want to stand up to read this… maybe stretch your arms a bit, rotate your neck, do a little jig with those legs built for motion… cause chances are, you’re sitting down… I hope for no longer than a couple of hours.
After reading these alarming facts and statistics on the negative effects of sitting, you’re gonna want to put a reminder in your phone or email to get up from that chair, stretch, and walk around a bit. I did.
How Your Health is Negatively Impacted
- You’re 40% more likely to die within 15 years if you sit 6+ hrs/day, EVEN IF YOU WORK OUT!
- You have 15% greater risk of developing cardiovascular disease every 2 hrs/day you spend sitting.
- Sitting for long periods of time increases your chance for developing colon cancer by 35% and breast cancer by 25%.
- Stand every 30 minutes and stretch out those legs – Move around. Sitting expends almost no energy, and your legs would like to feel alive.
- Take a 15 minutes walk every 2 hours – Take a longer way to fill your water bottle. Add that walking reminder in your phone while walking. Join the conference call on your headset and walk around (within distance). After all, walking burns 3-5 times the calories as sitting.
Ultimately, be as active as you can when you can – Take advantage of the great outdoors. Utilize those exercise bands at your desk. Play with the kiddies. Plan DIY projects. Re-arrange furniture. Play those interactive games and learn some new dance moves. The list is endless really. Just get up and move!